Position: Summer Camp Director
Hours: Full-time, 40hr/week
Location: Burlington, VT
Reports to: Associate Director
King Street Center (KSC) is seeking a full-time 40 hour a week Summer Camp Director to join our dedicated staff to coordinate summer camp activities for elementary school-aged children in the Burlington community including, but not limited to – academic, recreation, enrichment, and field trip opportunities. This position will also supervise summer camp counselors and ensure compliance with safety and state licensing requirements.
ABOUT KING STREET CENTER
King Street Center is a nonprofit organization founded (1971) on the belief that every child and family in Burlington deserves to thrive in a connected community. Our mission is to create a place where kids meet opportunity through learning, play, and community. We strive to provide integrated, long-term services to both children and families in the Burlington area, and predominantly serve Burlington’s immigrant and refugee communities. We serve approximately 120 children and teens each day. Programs include: a Toddler and Preschool program for 18 month olds-5 year-olds; an Afterschool program for children in grades K through 5; a Teen Program for middle and high school students; and a mentoring program for children of all ages.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, implement, participate in, supervise and evaluate out-of-school time educational and age-appropriate activities for children, coordinate activities with childcare and teen programs as well as other agencies and facilities.
- Oversee enrollment and orientation of children and families into the programs, track enrollment numbers.
- Manage payment and subsidy details for families.
- Work with Assistant Camp Director to plan, implement and supervise the aftercare program for enrolled campers from 3-5 p.m.
- Work with Assistant Camp Director to plan, implement, and supervise daily academic tutoring and enrichment activities for enrolled students.
- Recruit, hire, train, and supervise Summer Camp Counselors.
- Maintain adequate stock of necessary supplies, making purchases whenever needed.
- Ensure all purchases are approved and fall within budget guidelines
- Oversee compliance with Vermont State Covid-19 Guidance, Child Care Licensing Guidance, and STARS Certification.
- Maintain Traxsolutions Database and daily attendance.
- Work with Assistant Camp Director and Operations Manager to implement the Summer Meals Program.
- Support Program Staff and Assistant Camp Director with behavior management.
- When necessary, provide classroom coverage for breaks and staff absences.
- Maintain awareness of children’s participation and whereabouts.
- General “housekeeping” matters such as food preparation, classroom clean up, and light facilities maintenance.
- Attend to health and safety matters, including reporting and record keeping.
- Attend and/or facilitate regular prep and wrap-up meetings, Director meetings, and training sessions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by persons assigned to this position title. They do not include all job duties performed by employees in this position, nor does every position necessarily require these duties.
RELATIONSHIPS AND ROLES
- Officially reports to the Associate Director
- Supervises Summer Camp Counselors
- Works closely with other Program Directors to plan and implement programs and to share building space
- Interacts with children, families, community at large, other agencies, and Burlington schools
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Out-of-school time care, child and program development.
- A personal commitment to and deep understanding of KSC’s mission, demonstrated skills in cultural competence, and a commitment to social justice.
- The State of Vermont’s Child Care Licensing Regulations for after school programs
- The State of Vermont’s STARS Program
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong supervision skills
- Successful group facilitation
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Curriculum writing and program planning
- Program and staff supervision
- Behavior management and de-escalation
- Plan and implement academic, recreational, and enrichment programs for elementary school-aged children
- Maintain confidentiality
- Effectively oversee and train employees, interns, and volunteers.
- Modify plans and maintain flexibility in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
- Actively participate in King Street Center’s Leadership Team Meetings
- Work simultaneously on big picture projects as well as day-to-day small operational details
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
At least three years of experience working with – and leading programs for – elementary school-aged children. One year of program management experience preferred. Experience working with BIPOC youth and families also preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/CONDITIONS OF WORK
Work is conducted inside and outside during all seasons. Must be able to be physically active, participate in gross motor games, and walk distances to neighborhood sites. Occasional lifting of furniture, materials and children, weighing up to 50 pounds. Occasional interaction with children and families exhibiting some instability in their behavior. Some potential for risks to physical safety and security of facility.
SALARY & BENEFITS
This is a seasonal position with an hourly rate of pay of $25-$27/hr commensurate with experience. Benefits include Employee Assistance Program, and ongoing, regular professional development.
Candidates should send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Summer Camp Director” in the subject line:
- Cover letter with available start date
- Three references and their contact information.
Only candidates who follow this process will be vetted.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the individual assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties as necessary. Minimal heavy lifting and no strenuous activity required; reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. King Street Center is an equal opportunity employer.