Yes, we find it surprising, too. But, parents & mentors, take heed. Help kids to stay safe by following these guidelines:
In Vermont, to get out of a booster, a child must pass two milestones
- The child must be 8 years old to even consider leaving the booster.
- The child must pass the 5 step test to get out of the booster. The belt must fit them correctly. This test checks for belt fit.
The 5 Step Booster Test:
- Does the child sit all the way back against the vehicle’s seat?
- Is the lap belt below the stomach, touching the thighs?
- Is the shoulder belt centered on the shoulder and chest?
- Do the child’s knees bend comfortably at the edge of the vehicle’s seat?
- Can the child stay seated like this for the whole ride?