Position Title: Early Education Floater Teacher
Hours: 20-30 hours per week
Reports to: Early Education Director
Status: At Will
ABOUT KING STREET CENTER
King Street Center is a nonprofit organization founded (1971) on the belief that every child and family in Burlington deserves to thrive in a connected community. Our mission is to create a place where kids meet opportunity through learning, play, and community. We strive to provide integrated, long-term services to both children and families in the Burlington area, and predominantly serve Burlington’s immigrant and refugee communities. We serve approximately 120 children and teens each day. Programs include: a Toddler and Preschool program for 18 month olds-5 year-olds; an Afterschool program for children in grades K through 5; a Teen Program for middle and high school students; and a mentoring program for children of all ages.
Responsible for supporting children ranging in age from 18 months – 5 years during busy periods of the day including choice times, lunch, toileting and nap. Staff work together to support children enjoying the learning process and to be caring toward others while providing an environment in which young children can develop in an atmosphere of mutual respect.
- Attend to the care, safety and well being of children.
- Set and enforce limits that are related to the child’s level of maturity.
- Promote independence by allowing children to solve their own problems.
- Listen to children with interest, answer questions, and maintain a receptive attitude.
- Set up and clean up the classroom as needed.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by persons assigned to this position title. They do not include all job duties performed by employees in this position, nor does every position necessarily require these duties.
RELATIONSHIPS AND ROLES
- Officially reports to the Early Education Director.
- Interacts with other KSC program staff, visiting educators, community service providers, transportation providers, special educators, and medical professionals.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to be self-motivated, energetic and enthusiastic.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate effectively with children, families, co-workers, people from collaborating agencies and the general public.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Ability to work with others in a team environment.
- Ability to take direction from supervisor(s) and co-workers.
- Must be at least 18 years of age. Must be at least a high school graduate or have completed a GED.
- Some experience in teaching in an early childhood program or working with children is preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/CONDITIONS OF WORK
Work is conducted primarily inside, with daily outdoor playground activities as weather permits. Must be able to walk distances to neighborhood sites and participate in gross motor activities. Must be able to participate in children’s activities that involve sitting, standing, grasping, touching, pushing, pulling, manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Must be able to handle the stress and tension that contact with children and parents bring every day. Potential for injury from physical interplay with children, and for illness passed along from children.
Occasional lifting of furniture, materials and children, weighing up to 50 pounds. Occasional interaction with children and families exhibiting some instability in their behavior. Some potential for risks to physical safety and security of facility.
Candidates should send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Floater Teacher” in the subject line:
1. Resume or letter describing your experience working with children and why you would like to work at King Street Center.
2. Your availbility (when you’re able to start and what days/hours you are available throughout the school year.
Please be prepared to share 3 personal or professional references, upon request.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the individual assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties as necessary. Minimal heavy lifting and no strenuous activity required; reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. King Street Center is an equal opportunity employer.