Position: Teen Program Staff
Hours: Part-time, M/T/Th/F 2-6, W 1-6 (must be able to work at least 3 days/week)
Location: Burlington, Vermont
King Street Center (KSC) is seeking a caring, creative and passionate person to join our Teen Program. Come be a part of a dynamic community that supports children through education, opportunity and play!
ABOUT KING STREET CENTER
King Street Center is a nonprofit organization founded (1971) on the belief that every child and family in Burlington deserves to thrive in a connected community. Our mission is to create a place where kids meet opportunity through learning, play, and community. We strive to provide integrated, long-term services to both children and families in the Burlington area, and predominantly serve Burlington’s immigrant and refugee communities. We serve approximately 120 children and teens each day. Programs include: a Toddler and Preschool program for 18 month olds-5 year-olds; an Afterschool program for children in grades K through 5; a Teen Program for middle and high school students; and a mentoring program for children of all ages.
To provide youth with a safe, nurturing space and support that they may gain self-awareness, become empowered to make safe choices, and grow as individuals in the community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide a listening ear, encouraging voice, and general support to teens on a daily basis, including assistance with projects and homework and attendance at individual youth activities.
- Educate teens in various activities such as food preparation and cooking skills.
- Plan and attend local trips with youth to participate in activities within the community.
- Participate in operation of the lemonade stand during the summer.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by persons assigned to this position title. They do not include all job duties performed by employees in this position, nor does every position necessarily require these duties.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to be self-motivated, energetic and enthusiastic.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate effectively with children, families, co-workers, and the general public.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Ability to work with others in a team environment.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
- Ability to take direction.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/CONDITIONS OF WORK
Work is conducted inside and outside during all seasons. Must be able to climb stairs, run, hike and participate in other physical activities with youth, such as swimming, tennis, basketball, yoga, etc. Must be able to participate in youth activities that involve sitting, standing, grasping, touching, pushing, pulling, manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Must be able to handle the stress and tension that contact with teens and parents bring every day. Potential for injury from physical interplay with youth, and for illness passed along from youth.
Occasional lifting of furniture and materials, weighing up to 50 pounds. Occasional interaction with youth and families exhibiting some instability in their behavior. Some potential for risks to physical safety and security of the facility. Occasional driving of youth to off-site activities.
Candidates should send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Teen Program Staff” in the subject line:
1. Resume or letter describing your experience working with children and why you would like to work at King Street Center.
2. Your availbility (when you’re able to start and what days/hours you are available throughout the school year.
Please be prepared to share 3 personal or professional references, upon request.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the individual assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties as necessary. Minimal heavy lifting and no strenuous activity required; reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. King Street Center is an equal opportunity employer.