Position Title: Early Education Teacher Aide
Hours: Option for Part-Time (9am-1pm or 11am-3pm), or Full-Time (7:30am-3pm)
Responsible for teaching children ranging in age from 18 months – 3 years to enjoy the learning process and to be caring toward others while providing an environment in which young children can develop in an atmosphere of mutual respect.
- Attend to the care, safety, and wellbeing of children.
- Set and enforce limits that are related to the child’s level of maturity.
- Promote independence by allowing children to solve their own problems.
- Observe, evaluate, and discuss student progress, developmental milestones, and concerns with lead teachers.
- Identify and obtain appropriate learning materials.
- Listen to children with interest, answer questions, and maintain a receptive attitude.
- Open, close, set up, and clean up the classroom as needed.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by persons assigned to this position title. They do not include all job duties performed by employees in this position, nor does every position necessarily require these duties.
Relationships & Roles
- Officially reports to Lead Teacher(s). Will also be supervised by the Early Education Director.
- Interacts with other KSC program staff, visiting educators, community service providers, transportation providers, special educators, and medical professionals.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to innovate and cooperate with others.
- Ability to be self-motivated, energetic and enthusiastic.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate effectively with children, families, co-workers, people from collaborating agencies and the general public.
- Ability to organize activities and time.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Ability to work with others in a team environment.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
- Ability to take direction from supervisor(s) and co-workers.
Must be at least 18 years of age. Education: At least a high school graduate or has completed a GED. At date of hire or within the first 12 months of employment, candidate must and complete a three college credit course in child or human development or in school age care and education or completion of the Fundamentals for Early Childhood Professionals’ course or equivalent.
Some experience in teaching in an early childhood program or working with children is preferred.
Physical Requirements & Conditions of Work
Work is conducted primarily inside, with daily outdoor playground activities as weather permits. Must be able to walk distances to neighborhood sites and participate in gross motor activities. Must be able to participate in children’s activities that involve sitting, standing, grasping, touching, pushing, pulling, manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Must be able to handle the stress and tension that contact with children and parents bring every day. Potential for injury from physical interplay with children, and for illness passed along from children.
Occasional lifting of furniture, materials and children, weighing up to 50 pounds. Occasional interaction with children and families exhibiting some instability in their behavior. Some potential for risks to physical safety and security of facility.
Candidates should send the following to email@example.com with ‘Toddler Teacher Aide” in the subject line:
- Cover letter with available start date
- Three references and their contact information
Only candidates who follow this process will be vetted.
*The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the individual of this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties as necessary. Minimal heavy lifting and no strenuous activity required; reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. King Street Center is an equal opportunity employer.