Position: After School Program Staff
Hours: M/T/Th/F 1:15 – 6, W 12:15 – 6
Start Date: Training starts August 29th, Program starts September 7th
Location: Burlington, Vermont
Reports to: Afterschool Director
King Street Center (KSC) is seeking a caring, creative and passionate person to join our Afterschool Excellence team. Come be a part of a dynamic community that supports children through education, opportunity and play!
ABOUT KING STREET CENTER
King Street Center is a nonprofit organization founded (1971) on the belief that every child and family in Burlington deserves to thrive in a connected community. Our mission is to create a place where kids meet opportunity through learning, play, and community. We strive to provide integrated, long-term services to both children and families in the Burlington area, and predominantly serve Burlington’s immigrant and refugee communities. We serve approximately 120 children and teens each day. Programs include: a Toddler and Preschool program for 18 month olds-5 year-olds; an Afterschool program for children in grades K through 5; a Teen Program for middle and high school students; and a mentoring program for children of all ages.
This part-time position is to supervise an after school classroom, implement engaging activities and foster an environment where children feel safe, happy and valued. Our program serves K-5th graders during afternoons, half days and school vacation weeks. Staff create meaningful relationships with children, and teach them new skills, while having fun at the same time. Program staff must be empathetic, self-motivated and eager to be a part of a collaborative team that is committed to the health and wellbeing of all children and families. They should also demonstrate a commitment to principles of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
QUALITIES OF SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES
The ideal candidate is empathetic, self-motivated and eager to be a part of a collaborative team that is committed to the health and wellbeing of all children and families. This person should also demonstrate a commitment to principles of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan, implement and supervise daily educational and age-appropriate activities and games for children.
- Ensure health, safety and enjoyment of children in program.
- Teach children life skills, appropriate behaviors, and how to make good choices.
- Interact with children to resolve problems.
- Ensure daily reading and homework are completed.
- Discuss child’s individual issues and progress with family.
- Maintain awareness of children’s participation and whereabouts.
- Walk children to King Street Center from school at least twice a week
- General “housekeeping” matters such as snack preparation, kitchen and classroom clean up, and light facilities maintenance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES (REQUIRED)
- Child development and group dynamics
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Highly effective written communication skills
- Ability to cooperate with others
- Ability to be self-motivated, energetic and enthusiastic
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to communicate effectively with children, families, co-workers, and the general public
- Ability to organize activities and time
- Ability to problem solve
- Ability to work with others in a team environment
- Ability to take direction
- Commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Education: Associates Degree required; Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
Experience: 1 to 2 years experience working with children and managing behaviors/conflict.
Candidates should send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Afterschool Program Staff” in the subject line:
- Cover letter with available start date
- Three references and their contact information
Only candidates who follow this process will be vetted.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the individual assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties as necessary. Minimal heavy lifting and no strenuous activity required; reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. King Street Center is an equal opportunity employer.