Our Afterschool Excellence program promotes safe, healthy fun in a creative environment for children in Kindergarten-5th grade who reside in Burlington.
What does a typical afternoon in Afterschool Excellence look like?
- A healthy meal is provided each day through our partnership with Burlington School Food Project.
- Enrichment activities offered over a period of 6-8 weeks. Options include arts and crafts, outdoor and indoor play, cooking, technology, constructive and dramatic play, exploring nature, tennis, and science activities. We collaborate with many community partners to enhance our afterschool programming. This includes on-site programs as well as field trips to Shelburne Farms, ECHO, the Flynn Center, Friends for A-Dog, Burlington City Arts, Audubon Vermont, and many others. Strong partnerships with area colleges ensure a low student-to-adult ratio. Each semester many student interns and volunteers work alongside our staff, providing additional supervision and support.
- Homework help is always available and is part of the daily schedule. Each child is matched with a tutor for a weekly academic boost.
- Kids in Afterschool Excellence are also eligible to be matched with an adult mentor, as available. These pairs meet weekly, enjoying local community adventures.
What does a typical day in Summer Camp look like?
- Full days at summer camp allow for even more fun! Kids will have the opportunity to participate in lots of activities both at King Street Center and out in the community. These include outdoor play, gardening, art, cooking, swimming (at a pool and at the beach), music, and exploring our local parks.
- Daily meal and snack are provided.
- Daily academic boost helps kids to be ready to go when school starts in the Fall!
- Some kids may be eligible to participate in off-site camps with King Street Center supervision and transportation, such as Very Merry Theatre, Shelburne Farms, and Skateboarding Camp.
Our 5 STAR licensed Afterschool program runs from 2:50 – 5:30 pm (1:50 – 5:30 pm on Wednesdays), Monday-Friday during the school year, with extended care available during early dismissals, and some school holidays. Full-day care is offered during February and April school vacations.
Our 5 STAR licensed Summer camp is offered for 8 weeks in the summer. Summer days are 9:00 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Our weekly tuition reflects the 5 STAR state subsidy reimbursement rate:
$100 per week for Afterschool care
$200 per week for full-day summer care
We accept child-care subsidy. There are a limited number of scholarships available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
For more information, please contact Carrie Jacques, Afterschool Director, at (802) 862-6736 x108 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration forms are available to download here:After School Registration 2019-2020 (AF)